Five Tips for Healthy Grocery Shopping
- Posted on: May 15 2018
When you are trying to lead a healthy lifestyle, grocery shopping can seem like an overwhelming task. With alluring and unhealthy foods at every corner and countless choices, shopping can be a challenge for anyone who wants to eat healthy. Here are five tips to help you shop smart.
- Plan Ahead: Before you step foot in the grocery store, make sure you have a list of specific ingredients you need for meals you will cook at home. Take the time to jot down what you will need for the week so you have a guide for where to go in the store. Not only will this help you plan out your healthy meals, but you’ll save time shopping because you’ll know exactly what you need. Also, check for weekly or daily ads at your local grocery store. Incorporate sale items into your meal planning to save money.
- Spend time in the produce section: Upon entering the grocery store, the first area you typically enter is the produce section. It is full of colorful fruits and vegetables and is often the largest area of the store. The variety of produce colors reflects the different mineral, vitamin, and phytonutrient content contained in each vegetable or fruit.
- Go Frozen: frozen vegetables and fruits, without sauce, are an excellent way to save time when preparing meals at home. Toss a package of frozen sweet peas into a stir-fry or steam some frozen broccoli in the microwave for a side dish.
- Shop the perimeter: In most grocery stores, the fresh foods are along the perimeter of the store. The vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, and dairy are all in this area. Try to avoid going down the aisles in the center of the store where sweets, cakes, and processed foods are stocked.
- Count your ingredients: Avoid purchasing foods that contain more than five ingredients or things you can’t pronounce. This is a good and easy to remember rule to help you avoid processed foods, added sugars, and unhealthy ingredients.
Schedule an appointment
For assistance on how you can live a healthier lifestyle, arrange a consultation with Alison Wellness Clinic today. You can reach our office by calling (256) 489-5748. Let us help you live healthier and feel better!